Web Designer – Internship
Our mission is simple: Democratize Opportunity.
Arbol is a platform connecting low-income students with financial, community, and networking support. By integrating social networking and financial services in a single platform, Arbol helps students in need pay for their non-tuition expenses providing them recurring micro-grants and connecting them to a community of supporters. Arbol enables supporters to give their time, talent, network and treasure to the students of their choice, while providing them one-to-one connection, proof of impact and transparency.
There are over 8 million low income college students in the US, but only 2 out of every 10 graduate. Failure to meet their basic needs while attending classes and the lack of community support are the top drivers for the low graduation rate. Arbol aspires to improve the graduation rate by providing student’s the financial and community support that they need.
Overview of Position
Arbol recently launched an MVP in partnership with Villa Maria College, D’Youville College, and Urban League of Rochester. The beta program consists of 15 student participants and will serve as a testing group for Arbol’s core features before publicly launching the platform in the later part of 2022. As the Web Designer Intern, you will work in a small team directly with founding members of Arbol to contribute to the planning, development, and redesigning of our marketing website.
In this role, you will immerse yourself in the FinTech startup industry to understand the pain points of our myriad audiences. You are responsible for restructuring the existing Arbol website with high-quality, exceptional design layouts, copy, and themes to drive our web traffic presence.
- Overhaul the existing marketing website with new structure, updated copy, updated content, updated templates
- Meet with internal teams to discuss website design / function, and design / manage website layout
- Edit WordPress themes / plugins to inform functionality, and improve user experience
- Troubleshoot content issues, and monitor performance of the live website
- Upgrading the marketing site to be responsive and mobile optimized
Qualifications and Experience Required
- Currently enrolled in a Villa Maria College degree program
- 0-1 years experience in Graphic Design, Web Design, or similar subject
- Familiarity with WordPress
- Ability to learn new things quickly
- Experience with Webflow is a plus
- Experience with HTML and/or CSS is a plus
- Managing multiple tasks and projects at the same time in a small team
- Fairly independent, can take a task and run with it
- Excellent writing and editing skills in English
- Strong interpersonal skills and willingness to communicate with colleagues (we’re a small team in an early-stage startup, we talk with each other a lot!)
- Ability to have fun
- It can move fast in a startup! Able to take breaks when needed
How to Apply